ST. AUGUSTINES – HISTORY
The first catholic mass in Matson was celebrated by Mgr. Roche on December 21st 1952 in the canteen of the builders of the Matson council estate. Thereafter in the Redwell Road community centre. In 1959 masses were moved to the skittle alley at the Musket Inn. To meet the needs of an ever-increasing catholic population St. Augustines was built. The Foundation Stone was laid on 22nd February 1962 on an area of open ground that was purchased from the City Council on 19th January 1962. Mgr. Roche celebrated the first Mass on September 30th, 1962.
This year, 2022, we are celebrating our 60th anniversary.